Thursday, January 2, 2014

Getting back on track

 

“The Mighty One, God, the LORD,

Speaks and summons the earth

from the rising of the sun to the

place where it sets.

From Zion, perfect in beauty,

God shines forth.”

psalm 50:1-2

The words met me this morning, just after I arose. Today I managed to unwind my limbs from the comfort of warm, soft sheets to enjoy the stillness of the morning. Coffee in hand I headed to our living room couch and opened the word. And God shone forth.

It’s the second of January and to me today feels like a Monday although it’s a Thursday. The tasks of the day actually were able to be checked off and it felt productive. I guess that’s how it goes; new year, new you. But I’m not going there. I’m resolving a thing or two but not because I’m under some vision-impaired notion that I can accomplish anything on my own. I need God, the LORD, who spoke and summoned the earth. He said “Come,” and into being the world came. So often I forget the most simple of truths…this powerhouse is for me.

Over the course of 2013 I found myself vacillating between contentment and yearning for more. I felt a bit stuck. Thing is, I’m full of fear. So much fear, cementing my feet to the ground, whisking away any sense of accomplishment, any sense that I actually could complete anything I put my mind to. And this year, along with other fellow bloggers, I’m ready to let go of some of the fear. I don’t want to live in this place, feeling like I cannot dream big and actually believe I *might* have the talent to finish the job. And believe me the dreams I’m dreaming are not so big. I’d like to make things and try new things and set my mind and heart to experience new things and somehow all these great things only happen in my mind or in conversation with my husband. I’m so afraid of failing that my feet just cannot move forward. Somewhere along the line I began believing the lie that every attempt was one of failure or caused disappointment.

And I don’t want to believe it anymore. I’m resolving to try. In all things, in all ways, try beyond what my brain says is possible and instead resolving to trust the one who set the moon in it’s place. Trusting that my best attempt cannot fail because He’s behind me.

My new year is starting out slow. Decorations put back in their place, my computer available or me to write. My Bible open, reading the stories to our girl over breakfast. If I get anything right in parenting I want her to know that when the Lord is her shepherd, she can do anything. And for her momma to even utter the words, I must also show her the way.

To a brand new year, to letting to of fear, to trusting the only one worth trusting.

 

My favorite posts/resources regarding the New Year and Resolutions:

A Grace Plan: A Doable Life-change Plan for a New Year, A new you by Ann Voscamp

A Little Theology of Resolutions by John Piper

Don’t waste your weaknesses in 2014 by John Piper

Power Sheets by Lara Casey (I’m using these as a regular mom/home manager)

Goals for the New Year by Jones Design Company

No comments:

Post a Comment