Thursday, March 1, 2012

An Old Favorite


Memories of breakfast with my mother are high on my list of things I remember fondly. See the thing about my mother is that she would make pancakes for breakfast any day of the week; I just needed to ask early enough before racing out to school. And I never saw her pull out a recipe.

She just knew it. By heart. I’m sure she can still whip up a batch of these delicious cakes with a moment’s notice and I hope she never succumbs to convenience because these have nothing on Betty. As I grew older, I found myself constantly losing the recipe only to call her up and listen as she recited the familiar ingredients across the line. I always thought this was her recipe, but after a few years she let me in on a secret. These may just be the recipe from Betty herself in her big red book. Hmmm, maybe Betty and mom know best!

DSC_1367 - Copy
Either way, while Alex was flying across the friendly skies, I treated myself to a delicious stack accompanied by sweet strawberries for the day of love. I mean if I couldn’t have my first love I might as well have a food love nearby:)

Basic Pancakes (according to mom)

1 1/2 C flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 1/3 C milk
2 T oil

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Beat the egg in a separate bowl, add milk and oil, then combine with dry ingredients until just mixed.

Heat skillet/griddle, spray with cooking spray or use a little butter, pour scant 1/4 C of batter on griddle. Flip when bubbly...enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment