Saturday, June 1, 2013

1st birthday planning

Someone is having a birthday very soon!

DSC_0004 (3)

So of course, there’s a bit of birthday planning going on in our house. In just 21 short days Elizabeth will be turning one. We are not doing anything big, just a party with family, but I did want to have a theme and do some fun things.

Alex and I love birthdays and love making each other feel really special on our special day. Although we don’t really get into gifts, we do like to do and eat things that the birthday person enjoys on their day. We’re both excited to welcome Elizabeth into our birthday traditions this year.

Because Elizabeth’s birthday falls so closely to her cousin Jace, I’m sure this will be one of the few birthdays where we have people traveling here to MN to celebrate. We’re thinking in years to come, if we can swing it, that we will travel to WI and have a joint family party.

I love watching and seeing how others make birthdays special. Everyone has their own unique way of celebrating, traditions they keep, and some people go over the top and some keep it really simple at home. That’s the beauty of birthdays. So personalized to your family and the way you do things.

This year, I chose a strawberry theme, which seemed fitting seeing as I went into labor last year just a week after going strawberry picking. And alas, the theme is held really loosely. Here’s the mood board for the party and we’ll see how things turn out. I’ve already completed her birthday banner and can’t wait for it to be used for years to come.

This photo below started the daydreaming as I love this cake and color scheme:

adca96e155a6798282a9036571ba2454

And then I found a similar print fabric which became inspiration for the banner:

IMG_1042

Which then became the color scheme for the party:

e birthday

      Striped Straws / Invitation / Berry Baskets / Polka Dot Runner / Cupcakes

We’re planning a very low key picnic party with strawberries in baskets, flowers in mason jars, polka dot encased tables, vanilla cupcakes with pink buttercream, lots of laughing, eating, and celebrating of our success in making it through the first year still smiling!

How did you celebrate one? And curious, gift ideas? Or no gifts?

2 comments:

  1. The first birthday is a big deal. I love the strawberry theme! I can't wait to see pictures of the banner, decorations, and Elizabeth enjoying her party. Stella's first birthday was an owl theme. Fortunately my brothers hadn't moved away yet at the time of her birthday, so they were there, as well as my sister and a few aunts and uncles and my grandparents. We're having a much smaller party this year (my parents, Susie and Jesse). Here's the post about Stella's first birthday: http://sarahlorencejohnson.blogspot.com/2012/06/and-we-celebrated-birthday-post-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it will be a great party!

    ReplyDelete