Saturday, May 4, 2013

Desperate: A review

_225_350_Book.755.cover

I’m not sure how I can sum this book up and do it justice. It has been a source of refuge and encouragement for my new mama heart. I was in the throes of discouragement when I picked this book to review and I remember distinctly all the tears that flowed as I read and read and read.

This book, Desperate, by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson, proved to me that I wasn’t alone. It seems like so many mamas, myself included, when things are good seem to forget the hard days. I remember when Elizabeth was really little thinking, “Why didn’t anyone tell me it was going to be this hard?” And looking back, no one told me because you forget and because it’s different for everyone.

But this book was a comforting companion to me. It unfolds the story of Sarah Mae, a mama in the trenches of motherhood and her mentor Sally, an older woman who’s been through the trenches and lived to tell of it. I found the questions Sarah Mae posed to Sally to be questions I myself have thought before and the answers from Sally to be incredibly refreshing and solid truth. Reading through the book there were many tears, many bookmarks, and many moments when my mind finally wrapped itself around a tangible way of doing things. This is not a how-to book but instead a book that points to One who can lead you in your own path of motherhood.

At the end of every chapter there are personal questions and action points. These are incredibly thought provoking and really helpful in figuring out where you are at and ways you can move forward or work on things. I found I needed to go back a time or two to reread the questions because I didn’t always have the time to work through them but each time I did, there was fruit. I also loved how they stress the importance of getting to know each child individually, offering grace, and finding some time away for you to refresh as a mother.

With so many parenting and how-to books out there and so.much.chatter and information available online, motherhood has the tendency to become overwhelming. I really enjoyed the purposed moments throughout the book to remember we are all going to parent uniquely the way the Lord has created us to and the way we figure that out is by asking him.

Seriously. Easy as that. And you know what, I needed to hear something as easy as that. My husband says that to me all the time. The only book we need to be in is the Word of God and He’ll be faithful to lead us in the way we should go. (in all of life but also in our parenting) Simple.

After reading this book, I’ve begun praying for the Lord to teach me to mother and show me what motherhood will look like for me. And you know what? He’s answering. And I’m finding myself filled with joy, walking a road of motherhood I never thought would be the road I would go down.

Writing a review of this book does nothing to tell of the riches that can be found by reading it. This book is an excellent read for everyone on the road of motherhood. It is encouraging, uplifting, thought provoking, and filled with wisdom. It would be a perfect gift for mother’s day!

 

{I was given an e-copy of this book in return for a review through Book sneeze, a blogger review program through Thomas Nelson Publishers.}

No comments:

Post a Comment