Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It’s not always easy, but it’s worth it


Almost 5 years ago I said yes; to a man, to a commitment, and to our future.  For better or worse, in richer or poorer; these words were not in our vows. 

IMG_0893_1                                                                 our younger selves (2005)
Instead I promised:

-to be faithful to you and never leave you
-to respect and submit to your leadership
-to trust your judgement in leading me as God leads you
-to provide you with an abundance of encouragement and to communicate openly and honestly with you  
-to listen when you speak and keep what I hear
-to trust you and honor you and follow you 
-to be your helper and your most trusted friend.

8337-R1-12-14
These 4+ years have proved to challenge my faith and my trust.  Life has pulled on my heart strings as I open my hands, letting go of preconceived notions on how life is supposed to look.  Life with you isn’t preconceived, or according to the world’s plan, and doesn’t look like others’. 

In 4+ years we’ve done crazy things; bought 2 houses in the middle of a real estate meltdown and the Lord sold them, we sold our house in order to best create working capital, and now we embark together down a new road, following Him.  I fell in love with your spirit when we were dating; I’m recalling back how often you asked “Honey, what if I want to stop working and build boats in a barn, will you stick by me?”

DSC_0263

Little did I know that phrase would be a metaphor for our future.  Flipping houses, selling houses, buying houses, renting houses.  It was a glimpse into your heart, full of passion and energy, and entrepreneurial spirit.  Naively I said yes, not fully understanding what you meant.  But I see it now, raw drive, extreme attention to detail and you take your provision job so seriously.  And I’m thankful. 


IMG_1790

Every year a time hits when I’m reminded that I need to trust, not only you, but the Lord.  For His provision and plan. And with new eyes, I get a glimpse of this crazy, wonderful, passionate man I married.  Who with extreme passion in your eyes and a childlike giddiness in your voice, lights up our life with new possibility.  This brings change.

I’m not so good with change.  I like to plan things out as we dream together, without having to think we may be steered another direction.  Gentle pruning.  He’s pruning me to be better listen and trust and encourage you.  I’m becoming a better wife.  Day by day, moment by moment, I’m being reminded that life is not run according to me.  And through the pruning, my heart surges with new love for you and this amazing spirit the Lord has put in your heart.

Honey, I’m so proud of you.  And I’m sorry.  I know I don’t always appreciate the passion within.  It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s been so, so worth it.  It’s our adventure; up, down, steady and crazy all in one. 

I love you just the way God made you.

Congratulations are in order today; to you and our new adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! I have a soft spot for husbands who are willing to take risks and bring passion to their jobs.. I married one of those. I, too, am change averse.

    I'm encouraged to hear you love your man for those God-given qualities!

    Here's to whatever adventure comes next for you both and to continued trusting in the Lord!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete